Staying in compliance with federal, state, Canadian, and international consumer product safety requirements and responding appropriately when there’s a potential hazard or product defect can help you avoid costly fines and enforcement actions as well as safeguard your organization’s reputation with consumers. Mintz Levin’s Consumer Product Safety Practice is known for its capabilities and knowledge of laws and regulations, including those of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Customs and Border Protection, and retailers, states, Asia, Canada, and the European Union.
We advise manufacturers, distributors, retailers, importers, trade associations, and testing labs on federal, state, and international laws and regulations, including the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008. With Mintz Levin, you know you have seasoned attorneys who have advocated successfully for clients before the CPSC and Congress and have worked closely with both on regulatory and policy issues. Our consumer product safety counsel is comprehensive and pragmatic.
- Recognized as a preeminent Consumer Product Safety practice in the United States
- Ability to cover a wide spectrum of product-related issues
- National reputation driven by our role as General Counsel to the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM)
- Closely aligned with the Complex Tort and Product-Related Litigation practice group enabling us to handle any issue relating to “troubled products”
- Well-versed in international regulations: Canada consumer product safety legislation; new EU directives; China instituting and enforcing new export controls and internal recall procedures; and many other countries instituting/enforcing their own product safety laws
Areas of Focus
- Advocate on behalf of clients before the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Congress
- Review and classify products and product lines
- Assess safety monitoring and response policies and procedures
- Counsel clients on product standards and testing regulations
- Analyze supply chains with a focus on imports
- Represent clients with product recall issues and develop corrective action plans
- Lobby Congress on CPSIA reform initiatives
- Advise on international product standards/regulations (EU, Canada, Asia)