Whether you own intellectual property assets or are acquiring them as part of a transaction, understanding the strength of the IP assets and what their value is can help you make decisions that align with your business goals. Our attorneys assist clients in valuing intellectual property portfolios and provide intellectual property valuation opinions for acquisition and sales transactions, corporate financings, donations, and licensing agreements. Our clients include IP asset holders, investment banks, venture capital firms, and private equity funds.
When looking at the assets in question, we bring to bear the significant depth of our Intellectual Property Practice and the legal and technical experience of our team. If you are an IP asset holder, we can counsel you on your exploitation options, including gifting the asset, determining its write-off value for donation purposes, selling the asset, or licensing it to create a royalty stream. Our experienced IP litigators stand ready to take appropriate legal action should third parties infringe on your assets and refuse to take a license. For technology transactions or corporate transactions, we take a comprehensive approach to IP due diligence that includes assessing the scope of patent protection and validity as well as dealing with matters relating to enforcement, freedom to operate, term extension and restoration, the Hatch-Waxman Act, licensing, and antitrust.
- Practice consists of attorneys, scientists, engineers, patent agents, and other professionals in the US and the UK, including former patent examiners
- Global IP valuations and assessments
- US and EU patent law through US and UK registered patent lawyers
- Specialize in life sciences, health care, high tech, and software technologies
- Team includes attorneys and professionals with advanced degrees in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, biology, chemistry, and animal science
Areas of Focus
- IP due diligence for technology or corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures
- IP due diligence for securities offerings, IPOs, private placements, and other corporate financings
- Valuation and valuation opinions of IP portfolios for acquisition and sales transactions, donations, and licensing opinions
- Global valuation and assessment
- Litigation-related valuation and assessment
Rankings & Recognitions
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”: Practice top-tier ranked nationally for Biotechnology Law (2010 – 2012)
- Recognized for excellence by American College of Trial Lawyers, Chambers USA, Benchmark Litigation, and Super Lawyers